Line up begins on Friday, September 29 at 4:30 pm SHARP in the Andrews Academy back parking lot. All participants should be present at this time. The parade marshal will direct you to your spot in the parade line. Please remain in your designated area until the parade begins promptly at 5:00 pm.
PARADE ROUTE: The parade route begins at the Andrews Academy parking lot, enters campus on E Campus Circle Drive, passes the judge’s stand in front of the HPAC, passes PMC, turns right at the stop sign, and ends in the PMC parking lot.
- Signed and completed entry forms must be submitted to the Andrews University Alumni Office by September 19. Late entrants may not be included in the parade.
- The Alumni Office reserves the right to cancel the parade should inclement weather arise. In the event of cancellation, an entry’s contact person will be notified via phone.
- All materials on a unit must be properly secured. Proper support must be provided for all individuals on the float, vehicle or special unit.
- For safety reasons, the parade marshal may limit the number of participants who ride on a float or special unit.
- For safety precautions, children under the age of 7 are not allowed to throw candy; they must hand it out individually.
- Animals in the parade must be secured at all times and are the sole responsibility of the entrant.
- All animal entries must dispose of waste immediately.
- Entries are limited to a 4-minute show before the judge’s stand, if desired. The four-minute limit includes set-up, performance, and tear down. Going over this time limit may result in point deduction.
- Entries are judged on a scale of 0-5 for four different categories: creativity, quality, public appeal, and overall appearance. Bonus points may be given for special elements such as smoke, lighting effects, music/sound, moving parts, gimmicks, animals, incorporating the harvest theme, and Andrews school spirit. See last page for criteria details.
- The entry with the highest number of points will receive the President’s prize ($200), followed by 2nd place ($150), and 3rd place ($100). In the event of a tie, the judges will do an additional vote. Entries may only win one prize.
- The People Powered Prize ($100) will be awarded to the entry with the largest number of participants. If two entries are close in number, the group determined to exhibit the most spirit will be awarded.
- NEW: The People’s Choice Award ($125) will be given to the entry with the most audience votes texted in during the parade.
- At least one representative from each entry must be present for the awards ceremony directly following the parade. Winners will be announced at the Judge’s stand.
- Andrews University is not liable for any injuries incurred before, during, or after the parade.
Entries are judged on a scale of 0-5 for four different categories: creativity, quality, public appeal, and overall appearance. Bonus points may be given for special elements such as smoke, lighting effects, music/sound, moving parts, gimmicks, animals, incorporating the harvest theme, and exhibiting Andrews school spirit.
1. Creativity (0-5)
- Costumes and Casting
- Use of color
- Uniqueness of Idea
2. Quality (0-5)
- Neatness/attention to detail
- Solid construction/proper working parts
- Difficulty/Overall effort
For Marching Units—Uniformity:
- How well does the unit move together?
- Are the costumes consistent?
- Do the members work as a unit?
- Were they “in step?”
3. Public Appeal (0-5)
- Audience Interaction
- Does the audience relate to and enjoy the float?
4. Overall Appearance (0-5)
- Does the float/unit look good?
- Is the float creative?
- Does the float promote spirit?
- Does the float go with the Homecoming theme?
Entries will be judged out of a Total Score of 20.