This position provides project and technical leadership during the conceptual phase of a new program. In this role, it is expected that the incumbent will provide concepts with layouts of new products or potential products. Creativity is an absolute must for this position.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
This position will be responsible for the following:
1. Technical Capabilities:
- Able to create and select innovative must-have products
- Leader of product technology
- Understands parameters that surround technical area.
- Understands other approaches to technology (cost and performance).
- Has ability to develop analysis techniques where applicable.
- Is responsible for the concept, design and development of new products.
2. Project Management
- Maintains organization of projects through the use of the Advanced Product Development Process.
- Creates and maintains program Gantt charts.
- Completes work in a timely manner.
- Provides input for engineering budgets.
- Utilizes the work order system to initiate work by supporting departments.
- Ensures that phase reviews are executed on time and documented.
3. Product Management
- Maintains design control through the proper use of parts lists revisions and design revisions.
- Generates competitive, producible, and marketable designs.
- Actively benchmarks competitive products.
- Performs detailed and accurate analytical evaluations of concepts prior to concept selection and detailing.
- Writes specifications for both assemblies and components.
- Writes DFMEA’s and DVP’s
4. Prototype Procurement
- Initiates procurement of parts through use of parts lists and work order systems.
- Monitors delivery to forestall any delays by suppliers.
- Evaluates deviations and material substitution requests.
- Initiates rework of parts when appropriate.
- Maintains configuration control by keeping the procurement people aware of all product changes.
5. Customer Relations
- Maintains an open and friendly relationship with internal and external customers .
- Responds to customer requests in a timely manner.
- Performs customer reviews of programs.
- Presents proposals to customers.
- Prepares presentations to customers.
6. Team Skills
- Works effectively with internal customers such as Sales to maintain a cohesive team effort.
- Works effectively with internal suppliers such as Analysis, Development, and manufacturing sites to ensure active participation by all.
- Actively mentors junior transmission engineers to improve the skill base in transmission engineering.
- Works effectively to maintain the dignity of others while getting the job done.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Engineering preferred
- Greater than five years’ experience in transmission design and development
- Management presentation skills and experience
- Project leadership experience desired
- Experience with general office computer tools (word processing, spreadsheets, office communications). Experience with Excel and Ansys is preferred.
- A background in or experience with automatic transmissions is preferred. Experience with transmissions or multiple range gearboxes is required.
- The incumbent shall be proficient in the use of CAD tools. Experience with AutoCAD or Mechanical Desktop is preferred.
- Priority Setting
- Decision Quality
- Problem Solving
- Timely Decision Making
This position will adhere to Global Star Safety Program, including safety rules, practices and training as outlined in the BorgWarner PTC Safety Policy Manual, which includes the use of equipment, protective devices, or clothing that the employer requires. This individual will work in manners that stress the importance of preventing accidents and illnesses. He/she must take every precaution reasonable in the given circumstance for the protection of themselves and coworkers. In addition, he/she is responsible for reporting all injuries and/or possible dangerous situations, incidents, or occurrences to the immediate supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Employer